Seeking Executive Director
About our organization: Catalyst for Payment Reform (CPR) is an independent, national nonprofit organization working to catalyze employers, public purchasers, and others to implement strategies that produce higher-value health care and improve the functioning of the health care marketplace. Founded in 2008, CPR has helped to spearhead the health care payment reform and price transparency movements, contributed to successful legal wins against the abuse of provider market power and helped employers and public purchasers obtain better value for their health care spending.
Whom we’re seeking: We are seeking a dynamic, strategic and operationally-minded Executive Director to lead CPR into a new era. A successful Executive Director will fully utilize CPR’s strong membership, staff and reputation to push the health care system to be more accountable to those who use and pay for care. We are especially interested in candidates passionate about reform and who will thrive by bringing the best minds together to solve health care’s biggest challenges.
About the position: The Executive Director will work full-time, have the support of the current staff of seven providing wide ranging of skills, and report to the CPR Board of Directors. CPR operates virtually, and this position is remote. Occasional travel is required to meetings, conferences, and presentations, as well as to in-person meetings among the CPR staff (currently 4-6 per year).
What the Executive Director will do:
The Executive Director is responsible for providing direction and leadership toward the achievement of the organization’s mission and implementing the strategic goals and objectives of the organization. Specifically, the Executive Director will:
- Work with the Board of Directors and staff, with input from CPR members, to develop the organization’s strategy and determine the tactics that CPR can utilize to implement the strategy successfully.
- Ensure the organization is sustainable; expand on ways to grow the organization and budget. Spearhead revenue generation such as through recruiting members, developing grant-funded projects and identifying mission-aligned consulting and contract work, as well as raising funds through events and sales of CPR products and services.
- Manage the organization’s finances by developing the annual budget, tracking progress against the budget, making real-time adjustments as needed and keeping the Board up to date.
- Collaborate with CPR employer-purchaser members to develop a shared agenda, including identifying the biggest challenges health care purchasers are facing, facilitating the development of solutions with input from subject matter experts and amplifying the collective purchaser expectations and voice with other stakeholders, such as health plans and health care providers.
- Develop new projects, events and services that address cutting edge challenges faced by health care purchasers and educate purchasers and other stakeholders about these challenges and potential solutions.
- Supervise and mentor a hardworking and talented staff to help them balance priorities and produce their best work, offering growth opportunities while supporting work-life balance.
- Maintain a national presence by implementing a strong communications strategy and participating in high-priority meetings and conferences.
The ideal qualifications:
- Have a passion for health care reform and health care policy, including in the areas of
- Delivery and payment reform
- Price transparency
- Market power dynamics
- Commercial health care pricing
- Have both a strategic and operational mindset; can create the new and different
- History of successful grant seeking; business development skills a plus
- Strong analytic skills and familiarity with research methodology
- Deep understanding of the role of employers and other health care purchasers, including public purchasers
- Excel at working in a small, agile organization with outsized impact
- Have a national presence
- Comfort and experience with news media and public speaking
- Strong mentor
Compensation: Salary is dependent on qualifications and comes with a competitive benefits package.