The ACO Action Brief, updated in Summer of 2018, is intended to help employer-purchasers understand the ACO value proposition and think through how to implement this strategy with a health plan, third-party administrator, or through direct-contracting. Learn what an accountable care organization (ACO) looks like, what challenges a purchaser may face in implementing one, and what steps purchasers can take to advance the movement.
Topic covered in this ACO Action Brief include:
- What is an ACO and what problems do ACOs try to solve?
- What operational capabilities do ACO need to succeed?
- How does an ACO work?
- What’s the difference between ACOs and capitation?
- What are some examples of ACOs in action?
- Are there any unintended consequences that purchasers should be aware of?
- What steps can an employer-purchaser take to stay ahead of the ACO movement?